As part of the hiring process, make a list of several job candidates from RewardingWork.org who look like they may be a good fit for you. Contact them to schedule a telephone interview or video call. This initial interview is a “screening” interview to help determine whether applicants meet the minimum requirements of the job. Prepare a list of questions and priorities to help you focus the interview on what is most important to you, and ask every applicant the same questions.
Clearly explain the responsibilities and requirements of the job, the pay and the hours. If you think the applicant may be a good candidate for your job, schedule an in-person interview. It’s always important to determine your level of comfort before meeting the applicant for the first time. Will you hold the interview in your home? If so, will there be anyone else in the house? Would you prefer to meet in a public place, such as a restaurant or library?
During the interview, be as clear as possible about the job, your expectations of your employees, and what they may expect of you. Present a job description that describes the duties they will need to perform.
Sample Interview Questions
- Can you describe your caregiving experience?
- Do you have CPR, first aid, and/or medication administration training?
- Do you have any other special training or experience?
- How would you describe yourself?
- What are your strengths?
- Why did you leave your last position?
- What do you like best/least about this work?
- Do you have a valid driver’s license?
- Are you willing to have a criminal background check done?
- Are there any times when you will not be available to work?
- How much prior notice do you require regarding a scheduling change?
- Why are you the right person for the job?